Clio Logo

The Ocean Parkway Jewish Center was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. The three-story building, constructed between 1925 and 1926, was designed in the Neoclassical style. It was built when Brooklyn became one of the world's important centers of Jewish life. The building includes a sanctuary, ballroom, classrooms, and a social hall. The congregation traces its history back to the establishment of the Tifereth Israel Congregation in 1907.


  • The Ocean Parkway Jewish Center was built in 1926, becoming the first synagogue constructed on Ocean Parkway.
  • The sanctuary features this ornate stained-glass dome.
  • Ocean Parkway Jewish Center holds traditional orthodox services in its sanctuary each Saturday morning

The Ocean Parkway Jewish Center is home to a congregation founded in 1907 as Tifereth Israel/First Congregation of Kensington. The formerly Conservative congregation now offers traditional orthodox services.

"About Us." Ocean Park Jewish Center. Accessed November 16, 2015. http://www.opjc.net.

Buiso, Gary. "Synagogues, church set to make history." 

"Conservancy Guides Historic Brooklyn Synagogues Towards State, National Register Listing." Accessed November 16, 2015.  http://www.nylandmarks.org/advocacy/preservation_issues/conservancy_guides_historic_brooklyn_synagog...