Brooklyn's Eagle Warehouse, designed by Frank Freeman.
A view of the Eagle Warehouse n 2006 ((By minniebeach (Flickr.com) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons))
Backstory and Context
The Eagle Warehouse was originally built in 1893 as the headquarters of the Brooklyn Eagle newspaper. The building served as the headquarters of the Brooklyn Eagle for a number of years, but was sold off in the 1890s. Famed architect Frank Freeman was commissioned in 1893 to renovate the building and construct a warehouse around the original structure. Freeman mastered the Eclectic Romanesque Revival style and built warehouses as fortresses that were huge and permanent in order to ensure the security of the items stored within. When construction finished in 1894, the structure was well-built and protected even from the elements, having a moat of air underneath to protect the building from water seepage.
Over the years, the Eagle Warehouse was used for multiple purposes beyond that of being used for warehouse storage, including office space and the headquarters of the Brooklyn Law School. In 1980, the building was converted once again, this time into a condominium complex. Today, the building still acts as a residential condominium complex.