Fort Hall Replica
Fort Hall was constructed in 1834 and served as a trading post during the era of the Oregon and California Trails. The fort stood until it was demolished in 1863. This replica of the fort is located near the Bannock County Museum and the Pocatello Zoo and offers tours, exhibits, and interactive experiences that teach about the experiences of Native people and emigrants as they traveled west along the California and Oregon Trails.
Backstory and Context
It is estimated that 270,000 emigrants passed through Fort Hall on their journey west. Fort Hall would later be utilized by mail freight lines and prospectors during the California gold rush. The replica fort is not located in the precise location of Fort Hall, but is instead located near a place where travelers and residents often visit. The replica fort features a blacksmith shop, living quarters, and a trading post. A volunteer guide offers tours that includes a short history of the fort. Visitors should also take a few moments to read the Fort Hall diary on display, which offers some first-hand accounts of life at the fort through diaries and journals of people who spent time there.