The Cushnoc Archaeological Site is located just south of Fort Western in Augusta, Maine. It was the site of a 17th century trading post established by English settlers from Plymouth colony in what is now Massachusetts. The main purpose of the post was to pay back the investors who supported the colony. An archaeological excavation in 1984-1987 shed light on the relationship between English, indians and French traders. Some of the items recovered were tobacco pipes, glass beads, ceramics and other items. The site was abandoned around 1661.