Red Lion Inn Historic Marker
This stop on the Revolutionary War Heritage Trail marks the place of an inn at the conjunction of three country roads: Martense Lane (now the southern edge of Green-Wood Cemetery), the Narrow Road, which came up the shore of New York Bay from Denyse's Ferry, and Gowanus Road, which led to Brooklyn Heights. The Battle of Brooklyn began on Aug. 27, 1776, when a British army under General James Grant attacked Americans defending the Red Lion Inn. It was from this location that Washington witnessed the first phase of the eventual British victory over his rebel forces that would lead to the British occupation of the city. However, Washington was able to maintain order and his men conducted a fighting retreat to New Jersey and Pennsylvania. As a result, the British may have occupied New York, but they failed to capture the rebel army or its commander.
Backstory and Context