Daniel Morgan Monument
Daniel Morgan Monument today
Morgan Square today
1884 photo of Morgan Square and the Daniel Morgan Monument. Courtesy of the Spartanburg County Public Libraries Herald Journal collection
Early 20th century photo of the mounument
Chales Wilson Peale painting of Daniel Morgan
Monument as it looked in 1980. Courtesy of the South Carolina Department of Archives and History
Backstory and Context
As 1881 came closer, it was decided by the state of South Carolina and the US Congress to rename the 1787 public square in the newly booming city of Spartanburg, near the Cowpens battlefield, from Spartanburg Public Square to Morgan Square. Also decided was the construction of a monument of Daniel Morgan to be placed in the square on the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Cowpens. The state was awarded $23,000 for this event. John Quincy Adams Ward was chosen as the sculptor for the monument. Noted South Carolina architect Edward Bickell White designed the base and pedstal. The renaming of the square and dedication took place January 17, 1881.
Governor Johnson Hagood accepted the monument “for the general public” and General Wade Hampton (a former Confederate General) “gave the principal address.”
In 1960 the Daniel Morgan monument was the center of a controversy about the revitalization of Morgan Square. Citing traffic concerns, the city wished to move the monument. Proposals included moving the monument to the new Spartanburg County Library on Pine Street (between Palmetto Street and Otis Boulevard) or to Cherokee County where the Cowpens Battlefield is located. The controversy ended up in the Daughters of the American Revolution and others suing the City of Spartanburg over the revitalization plan for Morgan Square with the removal of the monument. The DAR cited that since Congress funded the monument in part that they may have to address the issue as well. One source quotes the city may give up the fight for financial reasons after a judge ruled in favor of the DAR, however, further accounts were not found on the case for this entry. The fact Morgan remained on the square appears to be some concession to the DAR’s case.
In 1960, the Daniel Morgan monument was moved about 100 yards east from the original location to the Main Street at Church Street end of Morgan Square. The move created an additional controversy as Morgan was set to look over the square with his back turned to Cowpens. In 2006-2007, the monument was moved west about 100 yards to the original site at Magnolia and Main Streets where he was also turned back around to face Cowpens and overlook Morgan Square. During the move of the monument base, the Daniel Morgan Statue was housed at the Spartanburg Arts Center then located on Spring Street where he was cleaned and restored before returning to the pedestal.
James W. Crocker, “Controversy Swirls ‘Round Daniel Morgan,” Greenville News, 28 April 1960, p. 17.
James W. Crocker, “Statue of Morgan Center of Controversy,” Greenville News, 20 September 1960, p. 37.
Lane Filler, “Morgan’s Officers Crucial to Cause,” Spartanburg Herald-Journal, 16 January 2006, https://www.goupstate.com/news/20060116/morgans-officers-crucial-to-cause (accessed 22 October 2018)
Jenny Connell, “Facts about a few Spartanburg landmarks,” Spartanburg Herald-Journal, 4 June 2009, https://www.goupstate.com/news/20090604/facts-about-a-few-spartanburg-landmarks (accessed 22 October 2018)
Daniel Morgan Monument National Register of Historic Places Nomination, 1980, http://www.nationalregister.sc.gov/spartanburg/S10817742019/S10817742019.pdf (accessed 22 October 2018)