West Quoddy Head Light
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the West Quoddy Head Light is the easternmost lighthouse in the United States. It was first constructed in 1808 and was rebuilt in 1858, at which time the keeper's house was added. It was one of the earliest lights built in the country. It stands at 49 feet high and the light can be seen 15-18 miles away. It remains in operation as a navigational aid and is one of only eight lights in the country to use a Fresnel lens. The light is known for its red and white stripes and its image was used on a stamp in 1999. The daily operations of the lighthouse is maintained by the West Quoddy Head Light Keepers’ Association.
Backstory and Context