University of Maine Museum of Art
The University of Maine Museum of Art is located on the first floor of Norumbega Hall in downtown Bangor. It was established as the University of Maine Art Collection in 1946 by Vincent Hartgen, who served as its first curator (he was also a faculty member). Thus far, it is the only museum in Maine to have a permanent art collection. The collection, which focuses on contemporary art, amounts to over 3,800 works of art. Artists in the collection include those by Any Warhol, Pablo Picasso, Diego Rivera, Edward Hopper and many by Maine artists. The downtown location enables the museum to serve as fine arts center. As such, it offers art camps for children, special events, family programs, adult education classes, and other programs.
Backstory and Context
The museum adopted its current name in the early 1980s. It moved to Norumbega Hall, which used to house a department store, in 2002.