Located Near Grand Isle, Maine, the Musée Culturel du Mont-Carmel (in English, the Cultural Museum of Mont-Carmel) is a museum dedicated to the Acadian and Québecois cultures of northern Maine and part of New Brunswick, Canada, covering a 100 mile radius of the St. John Valley. The museum is housed in a historic church built between 1893-1903, one of the few of its kind remaining in Maine. Its architecture is distinctive of the area. The museum's collection features numerous period artifacts (both religious and non-religious) and furniture such as vestments, folk textiles, various documents, folk art, photographs, and more. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The Acadians built the first chapel (a few miles down the road from the current church) after the Treaty of Whent of 1842, which finally settled the border between America and New Brunswick. For many years the church, which was named Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church, was part of the Diocese of Fredericton (in New Brunswick) until came under the jurisdiction of Portland in 1870. It closed in 1978 due to maintenance costs. The museum opened in 1984 and has been restoring it ever since.