Albright–Knox Art Gallery
Built in 1905, the Albright–Knox Art Gallery is one of the leading art museums in the country. It houses a superb collection of contemporary and modern art (6,500 pieces in all) comprised of paintings, sculptures, photographs, graphic, digital, and other types of artwork. Notable artists include Gaugin, Warhol, Picasso, Matisse, Miró, and Pollock. The museum offers various educational programs for people of all ages and also houses a special collections and archives. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1971.
The Albright–Knox Art Gallery was built in 1905 and is one of the country's top art museums.
The Knox addition
Backstory and Context
The museum's history dates back to 1862 when the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy was founded, making it one of the oldest organizations of its kind in the country. Wealthy Buffalo industrialist John J. Albright personally funded the construction of the building for the academy, which was supposed to be the venue for the 1901 Pan-American Exposition but construction was not finished until 1905. In 1962, another wealthy Buffalo philanthropist Seymour Knox Jr. donated funds to build an expansion and his name was added to the official name.
"Our History." Albright-Knox Gallery. Accessed October 13, 2015. http://www.albrightknox.org/about-ak/history.