The synagogue’s elegance is a reminder of the days when the Paseo was the most fashionable thoroughfare in Kansas City. The synagogue’s terracotta domes continue to dominate the Paseo’s skyline, although visitors to the synagogue will also notice the building’s three arched doorways and decorative frieze across the front façade of the building that includes an artist’s depiction of the Ten Commandments. The building’s interior features exquisite arches with stenciled beams that contain biblical symbols and walls that alternate stained glass with walnut woodwork. The synagogue’s altar contains a walnut Ark covered in gold—a reference to the Biblical Ark of the Covenant.
Like many other cities following World War II, Kansas City experienced significant migration from the city’s core to suburban areas. Part of this migration was part of the phenomenon known as “white flight” as fears of neighborhood and school desegregation inspired a growing number of families to move beyond the boundaries of urban neighborhoods. With no geographical barriers to limit residential expansion, and the construction of interstates that connected the suburbs with the city, Kansas City’s downtown neighborhoods faced the twin challenges of depopulation and declining revenue. This migration weighed heavily on urban churches, and the Beth Shalom Synagogue was no exception. Hoping to keep its leading congregants, Beth Shalom purchased land ten miles south and west of its present location and built a new synagogue in 1948 and sold this building to Christ Temple Pentecostal Church two decades later. In 1969, the current tenant, Victorious Life Church—a pentecostal congregation—bought the old synagogue and moved in a year later.