Built between 1761-1765, the Schuyler Mansion was the home of American Revolutionary general Philip Schuyler. Schuyler also served as an intelligence officer who managed a cohort of spies from the house and later her was an early United States Senator. He and his wife, Catharine, hosted notable guests at the house, including George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and James Madison. In 1777, British general John Burgoyne was a "prisoner guest" at the house. Today, the mansion is owned by the state of New York and managed by the Friends of Schuyler Mansion, which was founded in 1977. The mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.
The British eventually learned of Schuyler's spy network and a result they attempted to kidnap him on August 7, 1781. After the war, he and his family had an active social and political life. His daughter, Elizabeth, married Alexander Hamilton in 1780. After Schuyler passed away in 1804, the estate—88 acres—was divided amongst his children though none wanted the mansion itself as they had already had homes of their own. Several owners owned the mansion in the coming decades, making many changes to it and also demolishing other structures on the property. In 1886, it was sold to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany and became an orphanage. New York bought it in 1911. The orphanage moved out in January 1914 and restoration efforts began. The mansion finally opened as a museum in 1917.