Delaware and Hudson Canal Historical Society and Museum
Founded in 1967, the Delaware and Hudson Historical Society and Museum tells the history of the D&H Canal, which was built in 1828 and stretched 108 miles from northeast Pennsylvania to the Hudson River. Barges shipped anthracite coal from Pennsylvania to New York City, enabling the city to grow at a fast pace. The museum features a working model of the canal, a life-sized recreated canal boat cabin, a moving model of a gravity railroad brake car, financial documents, and dioramas of the gravity railroad and canal life. The museum is located in a former Episcopal Church was built in 1885.