David Crawford House (Newburgh Historical Society)
The David Crawford House, now the Newburgh Historical Society, was built in 1834 and designed in the Neoclassical style. Crawford was a very successful shipping entrepreneur and an important civic leader. He played a large role in Newburgh's economic development from a quite riverside community to a bustling shipping and industrial center. The house is rather large, featuring 40 foot columnns on the front and has remained largely unchanged. The house also features a collection of Hudson River School paintings, 18th century furniture, locally made silver artifacts, textiles, and model ships. Visitors will get a glimpse of what life was like for a 19th century wealthy family. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The David Crawford House, now the Newburgh Historical Society