Site of the First Town of San Marcos
This historic marker was erected in 1936 and commemorates the location of the first village of San Marcos which was established by Mexican settlers in 1807. The village was abandoned five years later owing to a series of attacks by Native Americans. The current city of San Marcos traces its origin to 1851.
This marker is located just south of the San Marcos River and about a mile south of San Marcos Highway.