Madam Brett Homestead
Built around 1709 by Roger and Catheryna Rombout Brett, the Madam Brett Homestead is the oldest and best preserved structure in Dutchess County, New York. It now is a museum and serves as the headquarters for the local chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution. Seven generations of the Brett family lived in the house and it still contains many of the original furnishings. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Backstory and Context
Catheryna's grandson-in-law was a Major general during the Revolutionary War and he hosted George Washington, Baron von Steuben, and Marquis de La Fayette on a few occasions at the house. The last Brett descendant, Cornelia Brett, deeded the house to the Daughters of the Revolution in 1954 (the house was going to be demolished by the DAR and others in the community saved it). The DAR chapter in Beacon was formed in 1895.