Camp Salvation, 1849
Using the military to aid stranded gold-seekers during the California Gold Rush of 1849-1850, LT. Cave J. Couts, Escourt established Camp Salvation. From September 1849 to December 1849, this camp served as a refugee center for distressed emigrants attempting to reach the gold fields over the Southern Emigrant Trail. The town of Calexico was incorporated in 1908.
The California State Park Commission dedicated this historic marker in 1965
California State Park website, http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/listedresources/Detail/808