Seward House Historic Museum
Originally built in 1817, the Seward House Historic Museum was the former home of William H. Seward, one of the most foremost politicians of the 19th century. He served as NY State Senator, Governor of New York, U.S. Senator, and Secretary of State under Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Jackson. The house features the household items of three generations of the Seward family. It is believed that the book collection of Seward's daughter, Fanny, is one of the few remaining intact collections of a teenager in the 19th century. Other items include Native American artifacts Seward acquired from Alaska, Asian and other ancient artifacts he and his family collected while traveling abroad, and the horse-drawn carriage he and Abraham Lincoln used in Washington D.C. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964.
Backstory and Context
Richard Greenwood. "William H. Seward House," National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. 10-15-66. http://focus.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/66000504.pdf.