Fort Gibson operated between 1824 and 1890 as a frontier fort,. It was the furthest west of any fort when it was constructed.
Visitors to the site can see a reconstruction of the early log fort as well as original buildings from the 1840s through 1870s. Exhibits detailing the history of the fort are located in the Commissary Visitor Center on Garrison Hill. The site also hosts a number of special living history events and programs throughout the year.