Asa Bement was a farmer and one of the area's original settlers. In addition to his farm, he also owned a blacksmith shop and a sawmill, both of which facilitated Newark Valley's economic growth. The house remained in the Bement family until 1891. It was purchased by Ichabod Ford who eventually sold it to his son-in-law William Billings in 1899. The last owner, Myrtie Louise Billings deeded the house to the Historical Society. Then in 1997, she donated 90 acres to the Society.