Cherokee National Capitol
Tahlequah was established in 1839 as the capital by the Cherokee people who arrived in Oklahoma following their expulsion from Georgia. Completed in 1869 as the Capitol of the Cherokee Nation during the period when Oklahoma was organized as Indian Territory (1869 to 1907), this building housed the Cherokee Supreme Court and legislature. The Cherokee and other Oklahoma tribes were compelled to dismantle their tribal governments in the early 1900s but still maintained local autonomy in many areas of governance. The building currently houses the Judicial Branch of the Cherokee Nation government.