Clio Logo

Camp Nichols was built in 1865 by New Mexico and California volunteers under the command of Col. Kit Carson. The fort was intended to protect travelers on the Cimarron Cut-off of the Santa Fe Trail from possible raids by the Kiowa and Comanche Indians.


The site is located on private property and is not accessible to the public.