Holland Land Office Museum
Located in Batavia, New York, the Holland Land Office Museum explores Genesse County's history, from the early 19th century to the present. The building, which is a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was the fourth land office built by the Holland Land Office Company to sell properties to settlers after what is most of present-day western New York—3.5 million acres—was bought from the Seneca Indians in the 1797 Big Tree Treaty; the transaction became known as the Holland Purchase. It was from the office that Joseph Ellicott, the founder of Batavia, oversaw the surveying, selling, and settlement of the entire purchase.
Backstory and Context
Greenwood, Richard. "Holland Land Office." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. October 15, 1966. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/d5d1450f-e3eb-489a-82b5-374351843103.