The hotel was known to be a popular place of the juries from the courthouse across the street when they were unable to deliver a verdict, sequestered on the third floor in a space nicknamed the “hung jury” room. For many years the basement was used as a tavern.
The hotel is a T-shaped, 2½ story building with a raised basement, and sits on a 1⅓ acre site in the center of town. Outside the building offers the largest wooden veranda, Victorian style, found in Fayette County. Inside, the floors are of thick layered oak and still houses many of the original furnishings, including a large loom. The absence of many structural changes leaves the hotel largely unaltered, including high ceilings with Victorian era trim throughout. Four of the original ribbed chimneys with corbel capping have been removed. A partition wall of beaver board was built in the late 1930’s between the lobby and dining room to convert this area over to apartment use. The original bricks were fired from local “Frogtown” clay and laid in a stretcher bonding. The hotel also features a Victorian wrap-around veranda, the largest veranda in the county.