Clio Logo

This monument honors Delaware soldiers who defended the Union during the Civil War. The granite columnn was originally located next to a bank building. When that bank building was demolished, the columnn was re-purposed as a veteran's monument, complete with a sculpture of an eagle at the top The monument was dedicated in 1871 and then rededicated in 1880 as part of the city's celebration of Decoration Day-a holiday that has evolved into Memorial Day.


  • This historic photo of the monument was taken in the early 1900s. For a full view of the photo, please click on the Hagley Digital Archive link at the bottom of the entry.
  • For more information about Delaware in the Civil War, please read Michael Morgan's book, Civil War Delaware:: The First State Divided-click the link below to purchase this book.