Oswego Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse
Built in 1924, the Oswego Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse is a historic light still used as a navigational aid, guiding vessels into Oswego harbor. It is located about a half of a mile out from the shoreline and is situated at the end of a long breakwater. It construction was part of a larger harbor enlargement project and marked the new entrance to the harbor. The lighthouse was built with steel and iron casing and other design elements enabling it to withstand the harsh weather and waves of Lake Ontario. Today, it is owned by the H. Lee White Maritime Museum which is in the process of restoring it and then opening it to visitors.
Backstory and Context