Business Women's Club
Backstory and Context
After studying at the Boston School of Cooking, Jennie Benedict began her career as a chef and caterer in 1893. She was then hired in Louisville by the Courier-Journal as the editor of the "Household" department.
During this time she co-founded the Business Women's Club. Benedict continued to be successful, as she later opened Benedict's, a restaurant and tea room, and she published the Blue Ribbon Cookbook.
The building continued its use as the Business Women's Club from 1899-1911. Since then it has been used for offices, a hot dog shop, and a jewelry shop at various points. It has recently been purchased by philanthropist Christy Brown for restoration. On February 7th, 2008, the National Park Service listed the Business Women’s Club on the National Register of Historic Places.