Republic of the Rio Grande Museum
The Republic of the Rio Grande Museum is one of the historic structures in to the San Augustin de Laredo Historic District in Laredo, Texas. It has been restored and its displays and furnishings recreate a home from the 1830s. It is owned and operated by the Webb County Heritage Foundation. The district, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, includes the San Agustín Cathedral and La Posada Hotel and other buildings. The district marks the original location of Laredo founded by Don Tomás Sanchez de la Barrera y Gallardo in 1755. From 1839-1840, Laredo was the capital for The Republic of the Rio Grande, which attempted to separate itself from the Mexican government. The museum is thought to have been the capitol for the republic.