Fort Hartsuff State Historical Park
Fort Hartsuff stood as a buffer between settlers and Native Americans. It also provided protection to the Pawnee from the Sioux in the North Loup River Valley from September 1874 to May 1881. Because the main fort buildings were constructed of a lime/concrete mixture, many have survived. The Fort is named after Major General George L. Hartsuff. When the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission obtained the site in 1961, restoration began. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Because of its size and condition, Fort Hartsuff is one of the most complete forts of this time period anywhere in the country.