Tuskegee University Legacy Museum
The Tuskegee University Legacy Museum opened in 2009 and was created to honor the 599 black men who participated in a study of untreated syphilis conducted by the United States Public Health Services from 1932 to 1972. The museum is nearly 9,000 square feet and consists of two floors. It appreciates donations of $3 but is free and open to the public and has t-shirts, brochures, posters and other Legacy Museum items for sale.
Backstory and Context
The upper floor of the museum houses the museum’s permanent exhibits tied to the history of the building as the former John A. Andrew and then John A. Kennedy Memorial Hospital and the current National Center for Research in Bioethics and Health Care. One side houses the exhibit on Henrietta Lacks and HeLa cells, and the other side features the infamous Tuskegee syphilis study.
2. Skloot, Rebecca. "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Black." New York, NY: Broadway Books, 2010.
3. Clare, Norris-Bell. "The Legacy Museum at Tuskegee University." Our Museums. [Blog] June 17, 2015. http://ourmuseums.com/museums/the-legacy-museum-at-tuskegee-university.