Liberty Hill Schoolhouse
Liberty Hill Schoolhouse is located next to the Liberty Hill United Methodist Church in Gainesville, Fl. In 1869, the schoolhouse was listed as a black rural school by the Alachua county board of public instruction. The original schoolhouse was rebuilt in 1892, and it is that building that still stands and can be seen today. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 28, 2003.
Backstory and Context
In 1874, the schoolhouse had increased to 33 enrolled pupils. It was at this time, that the pupils had to start paying tuition, which was $5 a month. Pay for the teachers went down to $15 for a three-month term, and in 1877 James Roberts was the teacher. In 1884, the school's enrollment had increased enough for them to hire an aid that was helpful to a teacher. The teacher then became the principal. The salary for the assistant was $15 a month, and the principal's salary was $35 a month.
In 1892, the board decided it was time to build a new schoolhouse. It cost $450. Liberty Hill was able to maintain a decent enrollment throughout the years. In 1940, there were 68 pupils and one teacher. Not too long after, in 1952, there wasn't much use for the school, as black students were starting to be bused into schools inside of town. It was then that the school was permanently closed. The schoolhouse has been since registered on the National Register of History Places.
- Wikimedia Commons. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Liberty_Hill_Schoolhouse_%28Gainesville,_Florida%29#/med...
- Book: African American Sites in Florida, by Kevin M. McCarthy