The Island Heights Yacht Club yachting activities and the clubhouse have been vital to the social life developing and producing some of Barnegat Bay's successful sailors from this club.
The pavilion, built in 1890, is at the east end of the boardwalk that follows along the waterfront. At one time, band concert from its second level, and dockside services were held there on Sunday mornings.
1 Miller, Pauline.
July 28 1898, about 30 summer residents agreed to form a yacht club and
for that purpose assembled at the house of Charles Webb (the white
house across from the club). The first meeting decided that race
entrance fees were $.50, and boats must be skippered by owners in good
Aug. 9, 1898, the club constitution was adopted. Article 2 states that
the purpose of the club is to promote yachting and rowing (rowing has
seemed to fall to the wayside). Article 7 states that the original
annual dues were to be $3 for members and $2 for junior members. Rule 11
states that the crew for any yachts shall consist of one man for every
five feet of deck length and each yacht shall return to port with the
same number of crew that she left with.
Women were permitted to join in 1899 when an amendment was passed that allowed a ladies' auxiliary to be formed.
On April 7, 1900, the club incorporated in the state of New Jersey at a cost of $5.16. Riparian rights were purchased at the foot of Oak Avenue for $100.00. Construction on the club house began and the facility was ready for the summer of 1900. On April 28, 1900, the membership agreed on plans for a south wing to the club house, a pier, and to modestly furnish
the house for less than $3500. They approved a north wing three years
later for $3000. They also agreed to purchase the riparian grant from
Thomas Perrine for $200. Interclub races then began with Bay Head and
Seaside Park YC's. Spectators often viewed races from chartered railroad cars that left from the old Island Heights train station on River Avenue.
On Aug. 2, 1901, Bay Head YC, Mantoloking YC, Seaside Park YC, and IHYC agreed to mark a bay channel from Bay Head to Island Heights.
On June 6, 1906, the House Committee was instructed to look into the possibility of installing a telephone in the club house.
On July 7, 1906, Mr. Van Sant authorized the purchase of a row boat for the club not to exceed $10.00.
On Sept. 5, 1908, the Ladies' Auxiliary purchased the ship's clock which now rests on the west wall.