This historic home dates back to the 1830s and features the Vernacular Georgian/Federal style. The Crawford House gains its significance from its historical association as the residence of two local mariners, Richard Crawford and Barzillar Grover. Both men chose to reside close to the source of their livelihoods along the Toms River.
Backstory and Context
While the eastern section of the house was remodeled in 1929, the present owner has carefully restored the building's interior using original or similar materials such as South Jersey pine for floor planks and beams. All new material, including the cedar clapboard, was purchased and cut from the Double Trouble Sawmill, (National Register site), where the original materials were made. The house has been success- fully adapted into a law office.
1 "NEW JERSEY OFFICE OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION HISTORIC SITES INVENTORY T W INDIVIDUAL STRUCTURE SURVEY FORM."