Fort Kaskaskia State Historic Site
Fort Kaskaskia State Historic Site marks the location of an important strategic site along the Mississippi River. The town of Kaskasia was founded by Jesuit missionaries in 1703 and the fort, which was actually an earthen redoubt, was constructed in 1759 to defend against attacks by Native Americans. For over a hundred years the town was the region's main commercial center and briefly Illinois' first capital from 1818-1820. It is a contributing property of the French Colonial Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. The site contains the redoubt, an overlook and picnic area, and a campground.
Backstory and Context