Known also as the Bennington School, Bennington No. 4 is a one-room schoolhouse near Waterloo, Iowa. After it was built in 1904, it served four sections which provided as many as thirty or more students for first through eighth grades. Students in higher grades attended East Waterloo High School.
The school served the predominantly German-American community until 1955 when it was closed. The 1911 school replaced an earlier school that had existed on the site
since the 1880s. By the early 20th century local farmers were
prospering, and chose to build a high-quality replacement school. There are no windows on the north side, a concession to winter winds.
Two windows on the east side and four on the south side light the room,
which features a pressed tin ceiling.Walls were plastered and had beaded wood wainscoting. The plaster has
been replaced by dry-wall and the wainscot has been preserved. The wood
strip floor has been preserved. While it was open, the school also served as a community center. In
1958 the vacant building was sold to the local Sage family, whose
members had attended and taught at the school. Restoration work took
place through the 1990s