Glen Carbon Historical Museum is located in the former Glen Carbon School, which was built in 1914. Architect John William Kennedy designed the structure in the Romanesque style. It served the town's diverse ethnic population and operated until 1954 when a new school was built. Over the years it has served many functions in addition to a school: a WWII scrap metal center, blood bank, civil defense building, village administration offices, police station, doctor's offices, and a library. Today, the museum serves as a local history museum. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.