Founded in 1916, the Madison County Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the county's history through exhibits and other activities within this historic Edwardsville home and throughout the community. The historical society offers exhibits drawn from their collections within the historic John Weir House which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The house contains period furniture and many historical artifacts including clothing, toys, and agricultural and industrial items. The society's library is adjacent to the house and contains photographs, documents, and books. Visitors are welcome to utilize the library to conduct research about local history and genealogy.
The house was built in 1836 for Dr. John Weir who operated his medical practice in the house. His son became a doctor as well and joined his father in the family business, and the two worked together until 1878 when John Weir passed away. The family owned the house until 196,3 when they sold the property to the historical society.