Lawrence County Museum
Founded in 2005 and located in Bedford, Indiana, the Lawrence County Museum is dedicated to preserving the county's history. It is housed in the 1908 Hamer-Smith building. The 12,000 square foot facility contains 1,000 artifacts such as school items, military memorabilia, household items, textiles, sculptures and other artwork. There is also a display dedicated to local residents who became astronauts. Also in the museum is the Edward L. Hutton Research Library containing genealogical information and county history records dating back to 1818.
The Lawrence County Museum
Backstory and Context
Before the museum opened in the Hamer-Smith building in 2005, it was located in the county courthouse. It outgrew this space and bought the current property in 2000. Up until 1998, the building was home to several businesses such as furniture stores, dental and doctors offices, a dry good store, and a glove company.