The National House
The National House in 1830, as depicted by William Wagner. The building was originally called the White Hall Hotel.
The National House is now home to apartments and retail and restaurant spaces
The building as it appeared in 1875 compared to the current appearance.
Backstory and Context
The building was remodeled in the 1920s to match the styles and economic boom of the era. The new owner, W. A Reist, added suites and retail outlets on the first floow such as Jacks', which sold ladies clothing. This store could have sold clothing to the new type of woman, the flapper. The flapper was a girl who broke from the long Victorian dresses and long hair filled with curls. Instead these girls bobbed their hair and raised their skirts to right below the knee. The National House shared this trend with women by removing the Victorian balconies in favor of sleek and straight lines.