The Albania Plantation House on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
Located in Jeanerette, Louisiana, Iberia Parish was built in 1837 and 1842. It was built on the banks of the Bayou Teche, located off the Old Spanish Trail. Charles Grevenberg built Iberia Parish. He was also an operator of a successful 6,500 acre sugar plantation that surrounded the Iberia Parish.
Grevemberg operated the Albania Plantation until his death. His wife took over after he died and managed the plantation until Samuel and Isaac Delgado, the mortgage holders, foreclosed in 1885. The Delgado’s did not live at Albania. However, they did continue to operate the plantation and refine sugar there.
When Samuel Delgado died he left his interest in the plantation to his brother Isaac. Isaac Delgado, who died in 1912, then left the plantation to the City of New Orleans. He specified that all proceeds from the plantation would be used to finance the Isaac Delgado Central Trade School.
In 1957 the plantation was sold to Emily Cry Bridges, the daughter of former Lt. Governor Paul Cyr. When Bridges passed away in 2003, her collections were auctioned and Albania Plantation was sold to Hunt Slonem.
Today, the Delgado-Albania Plantation Commission still operate the sugar plantation. The house on the plantation has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.