Milton College: Shaw Memorial Library
The Shaw Memorial Library was dedicated in 1967. It replaced the library in Whitford Memorial Hall. The three-level structure housed the library stacks, special classroom with "modern" learning devices, the Audio-Visual Center, a foreign language laboratory, and a classroom space. The library contained 53,000 volumes and was subscribed to 375 periodicals. Today, the building belongs to the Milton Public Library.
Backstory and Context
Joseph Goodrich, founder of the Milton House, began a school in Milton, WI in pursuit of a public place for education. Milton Academy was founded in 1844 and was geared toward young men interested in business and both genders interested in teaching in public schools. The old building became unsuitable and to make proper accommodations, the Milton Academy was founded in 1854. The school continued to grow until 1980 when the college was under financial stress. The college officially closed in 1982 and it’s buildings have since been re-purposed for apartments, offices, shops, and much more.
Milton College Preservation Society