Milton College: Whitford Memorial Hall
The building was constructed from 1904-1906. and was named after the college's first president, William Whitford. It housed the biology, chemistry, and physics laboratories and classrooms, as well as the faculty offices for those departments. Before the construction of the Shaw Memorial Library on High Street, the library was located on the first floor of this building.
Backstory and Context
Joseph Goodrich, founder of the Milton House, began a school in Milton, WI in pursuit of a public place for education. Milton Academy was founded in 1844 and was geared toward young men interested in business and both genders interested in teaching in public schools. The old building became unsuitable and to make proper accommodations, the Milton Academy was founded in 1854. The school continued to grow until 1968 when the college was under financial stress due to low enrollment numbers. The college officially closed in 1982 and it’s buildings have since been re-purposed for apartments, offices, shops, and much more.
Milton College Preservation Society