The Richard E. Peeler Art Center is DePauw University's first building dedicated solely to the teaching of art. It was built in 2002 and designed by internationally renowned Rice University architecture professor Carlos Jiménez. The 80,000 square foot facility features three galleries, a 90 seat auditorium, and classrooms and studios. The museum holds ten exhibitions per year and houses 3,500 items including anthropological artifacts from Africa, South America, and Oceania, as well as regional art from the 19th and 20th centuries. The museum is named after DePauw graduate Richard E. Peeler, who taught ceramics, sculpture and photography at the university from 1958-1972.