Church of St. Francis Xavier (Chippewa City Church)
The Church of St. Francis Xavier, also known as Chippewa City Church, was built in 1895 and is located about one mile east of Grand Marais, Minnesota. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and has been owned by the Cook County Historical Society since 1998. It was built by Catholic priests of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) to serve as an Chippewa Indian mission. It is one of the few remaining 19th century indian missions in the state and the only building left of what was once a community called Chippewa City.
Backstory and Context