Breman Jewish Heritage and Holocaust Museum
The Breman Jewish Heritage and Holocaust Museum opened in 1996 and, as its name indicates, is dedicated to preserving Jewish history in Georgia and teaching visitors about the Holocaust. To these ends, the museum features permanent and changing exhibits using items from its collection (national touring exhibits are presented as well). Many of these items were donated to the museum from Jewish families from the city and state. Interesting items include the minute books of the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Society which date to 1878, and Rabbi Isaac Marcuson's papers from Temple Beth Israel in Macon, Georgia. The museum also features the Cuba Archives, the Weinberg Center for Holocaust Education, the Jewish Genealogical Society of Georgia, and a library. The archives contains over 2,000 manuscripts and 15,000 photographs. The museum is named after Jewish philanthropist William Breman, who owned a steel company called Breman Steel Company.
Backstory and Context
McCarty, Laura. "William Breman Jewish Heritage Museum." New Georgia Encyclopedia. June 2, 2008. http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/education/william-breman-jewish-heritage-museum.