Constructed in 1889, the Frank B. Kellogg House is a perfect example of late 19th century Queen Anne and Romanesque style. It was built by it its namesake, Frank B. Kellogg (1856-1937), a prominent national figure of the early 20th century. Trained as a lawyer, Kellogg served as a Special Assistant Attorney General for presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Howard Taft, then became a U.S. Senator and was later appointed Secretary of State under Calvin Coolidge. During his tenure as Secretary of State, Kellogg helped negotiate the Kellogg-Briand Pact of 1928, an international treaty signed by 62 countries agreeing to not use war as a means of policy. Kellogg was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1929 for his efforts. The house remains a private residence today. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and became a National Historic Landmark two years later.
Kellogg was born in Potsdam, New York in 1856. His family moved to Olmstead County, Minnesota where they lived and worked on a farm. Despite his limited education growing up (he was needed on the farm to work), in 1875 he made his way to Rochester to study law and passed the bar in 1877. Eventually, he became City Attorney and the Country Attorney. He then moved to St. Paul where he worked as a lawyer representing big railroad and steel industries. This made him wealthy and his reputation grew as a result. Kellogg was also a key figure in state Republican politics at the turn of the century. It was during this time that he became the Special Attorney General, thereby helping him become a national political figure.