Jekyll Island Club
Founded in 1886; originally an elitist, segregated private club located on Jekyll Island, on the Georgia coastline. The State tried operating the club as a resort for some time, but this was not financially successful and the entire complex was closed by 1971. The complex was designated a historic landmark in 1978. It was restored and reopened as a luxury resort hotel in 1985.