No Man's Land Museum
Backstory and Context
Established in 1934, the No Man’s Land Historical Society preserves the Oklahoma Panhandle’s heritage. Its founders were pre-territorial pioneers. These pioneers wanted to sustain the historical documents and relics which marked the settling of No Man’s land.
The No Man’s Land Museum is a comprehensive museum of the Oklahoma Panhandle and its adjacent regions. It is operated by the Oklahoma Historical Society and Oklahoma Panhandle State University. It offers a wide variety of exhibits that preserve and represent the area’s history. There are several permanent exhibits displayed at the museum, including the Baker and Duckett collections as well as traveling exhibits.
The museum is made up of 10,000 square foot brick, concrete and steel. There are four rooms devoted to items that were used in the daily lives of early ranchers and homesteaders. There are also items from those who were lucky enough to beat the Depression and Dustbowl as well as those who witnessed the emergence of the Panhandle. Chipped stone tools, grinding stones, pottery and other items that were used by Native Americans in the region our housed in a 6th room. The 7th room presents history, economy and ecology of the area. A small gallery for local artist is located in an 8th room. There are also displays of art from the museum’s collection and traveling exhibits housed here.