Fort McKavett State Historic Ste
Originally established in 1852 but now owned and maintained by Texas Historical Commission, Fort McKavett is comprised of 19 restored structures, including the officers’ quarters, barracks, hospital, school house, dead house, sink and post headquarters. Visitors will also find the ruins of other fort buildings such as the commanding officer's quarters and the barracks.
Backstory and Context
The fort would be used again though, for in 1868, the Comanche Indians began to increasingly attack settlers and warfare again broke out within the region. As a result, Fort McKavett was reopened as a military post. According to the Texas Historical Commission, "From 1868 to 1883, Fort McKavett served as a major supply depot providing food and provisions for most of the military campaigns, scientific and mapping explorations and other forts in West Texas. By 1875, hostilities in the area had been resolved, resulting in the mandatory relocation of Native Americans to reservations in Oklahoma, and Fort McKavett was finally abandoned by Company D of the 16th Infantry Regiment in 1883."
The abandoned fort buildings became the genesis structures for the town of Fort McKavett. In 1968, the site was designated a state historic site.