Established in 1903, the Gloucester County Historical Society offers a research library that has grown to become one of the largest collections in southern New Jersey. The library offers records dating back to the 17th century, photographs and rare manuscripts, diaries, and historic books and newspapers. In addition to serving as the premiere resource for materials related to the history of Gloucester County, the library also offers resources for those seeking to learn about their own genealogy.
The Society also operates the Hunter-Lawrence-Jessup House Museum at 58 N. Broad Street. The museum offers numerous exhibits relate to the colonial era, military history, antiques, photographs, and historic artifacts related to the the lives of New Jersey residents in the 18th, 19th, and 20th century.